In October 2023, AGEE co-convened with Unesco an international meeting on ‘Advancing Gender Equality in and through Education through High Quality Data’, held at the Unesco headquarters in Paris. At the meeting, team members presented the latest version of the AGEE dashboard and composite indicator.
At the Transforming Education Summit in September 2022, participants called for targeted actions to advance the achievement of Sustainable Development Goal 4, gender equality and girls’ and women’s empowerment in and through education, including in the following areas:
- Transform data systems, and expand innovative and non-traditional data collection, to better generate sex- and age-disaggregated data and understand the intersections between gender and other characteristics such as disability or ethnicity that compound and lead to marginalization, inequality and learning poverty, and use data to take targeted action to leave no one behind.
- Ensure evidence-based monitoring of progress towards national, regional and global benchmarks built on accountability, national ownership, participation and transparency, within the SDG4-Education 2030 Steering Committee, the Global Platform for Gender Equality and Girls’ and Women’s Empowerment in and through Education and other mechanisms.
- Support countries to increase the availability and use of disaggregated data, gender assessments, gender budgeting and other means to inform planning, costing and implementation of gender-transformative education and reach the most marginalized.
As a follow up to the Transforming Education Summit, this meeting brought together key initiatives and actors to discuss how to best support governments to make informed decisions based on high-quality data on gender equality in and through education. Participants included policy advisors, high-level leaders and experts working on gender equality in and through education.
- Exchange and receive feedback on different initiatives supporting the collection of high-quality data on gender equality in and through education.
- Put forward how best to support countries to collect high-quality data on gender equality in and through education, and opportunities for collaboration.